Monday, February 1, 2010

A Trip to the Army PX.

Normally I write about trips, family, and other stuff that is pretty bland, making few comments critical of things outside of my immediate personal life. However, today I experienced something so utterly ridiculous that it simply must be brought to light.
I went into a store to buy some items including Windex, thread, and, on impulse, a bottle of liqueur I wanted to try. The man in line behind me was buying some booze too, as were many other people (it's displayed right next to the checkout lines).
The checkout clerk (a 40 something lady) scanned my items but upon encountering the liqueur promptly and without comment departed her station. Within a few minutes, another clerk from a nearby station came up and completed the sale.
Being a curious person, I asked what happened to the other lady, joking about the possibility she was underage and therefore not allowed to sell alcoholic beverages. "No" the replacement clerk replied, "She just won't even touch a container of liquor of any type."
Now that's a fine how-do-you-do, allowing a checkout clerk to personally decide what they want to sell and what they don't want to sell! Somehow, this just doesn't seem right - get a job someplace where booze isn't on the product list.

No comments: